Eighteen-month celebration kicks off on March 21, 2014, at all three SeaWorld parksORLANDO, Fla. – SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment launched on March 21, 2014, a multi-park celebration to commemorate a key event in the company’s history. The original SeaWorld Park opened its gates for the first time in March 1964 on Mission Bay in San Diego.
SeaWorld’s 50th Celebration features a Sea of Surprises throughout an 18-month celebration highlighting some of the most memorable SeaWorld experiences in San Diego, Orlando and San Antonio.
For nearly five decades, SeaWorld has surprised and amazed guests with unique entertainment, thrilling rides and up-close encounters with animals. During SeaWorld’s 50th Celebration visitors will be invited to take part in the excitement through new interactive experiences, shows and pathway performances, even more up-close animal encounters throughout the park and “The SeaWorld Surprise Squad” treating guests with prizes every day.
SeaWorld’s 50th Celebration Sea of Surprises Highlights
- SeaWorld San Diego will celebrate 50 years by completely transforming the park’s arrival experience. Explorer’s Reef™ will open in March for the celebration kick-off, and immediately immerse park guests into an undersea oasis. From the moment they enter the park, guests can connect with the sea through multiple touch pools featuring shark pups, rays, skates and delicate little cleaner fish.
- SeaWorld is known for amazing entertainment and each park will have something new for the 50th celebration. Kicking off on March 21, Park pathways will come to life with spontaneous entertainment. “Bubble Blowout” is sure to be a guest favorite with a fantastical vehicle creating bubbles of all sizes and shapes. Engaging performances with sea-inspired costumes and props will pop up at unexpected moments to surprise guests throughout the day, like “Splash Dance” and the “Sea Street Band.”
- Starting this summer, new shows offer guests the chance to celebrate the longer park hours. “Shamu’s Celebration: Light Up The Night” is a nighttime Shamu Show debuting at all three SeaWorld parks. The high energy show will include new, original music and production elements, as well as new killer whale behaviors. SeaWorld San Antonio will also launch a new 50th-Celebration-themed ski show for the summer season.
- The “SeaWorld Surprise Squad” will roam the SeaWorld parks on a daily basis giving away prizes and special gifts, including exclusive access to rides, behind-the-scenes experiences, Shamu-themed merchandise, reserved show seating and more.
- SeaWorld guests are often greeted by an animal ambassador, many of whom were orphaned or injured in the wild and given a second chance thanks to the SeaWorld Rescue Team. As part of SeaWorld’s 50th Celebration, there will be more surprise encounters with animal ambassadors throughout the day. A pair of Magellanic penguins, a lemur, or even a parade of flamingos could surprise guests at any moment at all three SeaWorld locations.
- To showcase SeaWorld’s commitment to the environment and passion for protecting the ocean, a series of giant sea life sculptures will be displayed throughout the parks. SeaWorld commissioned environmental art group The Washed Ashore Project for a collection of larger-than-life sea-themed sculptures – many weighing more than half a ton. The material used to create these pieces comes from the billions of pounds of garbage – mostly plastics – that wind up in our oceans. These amazing works of art point to the urgent need to protect marine animals from such dangers and preserve their ocean habitats.
- As part of its continuing commitment to new technology that enhances the guest experience, SeaWorld’s 50th Celebration will include new ways for fans to connect to the parks and each other though digital devices. The parks will be launching a variety of enhancements, from interactive apps that provide fun new ways to experience the park to new games and video content.
For more information and continuing news about SeaWorld’s 50th Celebration and the Sea of Surprises, visit www.seaworld.com/celebration.